The Authentic Me: Hosted by Mel Yu
Mental Health is your Own Responsibility – Showing up with Jake O’Brien | Ep 31
October 10, 2021
Quick one! So sorry for the internet stuffing up our conversation a couple of times during this audio. I hope you can be patient and get through the little cracks in conversation to listen to Jake's very important message!
Jake is an absolute legend and I was so proud to be able to have this chat with him. Jake is bloody real, nothing else to say! I hope you take some valuable lessons from this during World Mental Health Month.
As always, what we say in these conversations are not professional health advice or opinions, these are purely our own lived experience and if you are unsure or concerned for your own mental health and medication intakes, please seek professional advice.
Episode Show Notes:
- Mental health is your own responsibility
- Sharing stories are so important!
- ‘Rise, shine, rest, repeat’ lifestyle planner
- (Download here: https://www.jakeobrien.com.au)
- Jake’s lived experiences that set him to now talk about his mental health journey [9:05]
- What it feels like when your self-worth is at an all-time low – feelings of suicide [14:00]
- Stepping into your purpose [16:20]
- Showing the real you on your social media platform – if it feels truly authentic to you! [22:00]
- Leading from the front – the highs and the lows [25:00]
- Building resilience – the hard times make you stronger! [28:00]
- Changing your script and your story [36:00]
- Seeking professional help to not feel like you are burdening your personal support network [40:00]
- An open conversation around medication and your mental health. We have the power to reassess whether the medication is still serving us in the same way [47:00]
Don't forget to send us a screenshot that you're tuning in! Love you guys!